[Return to Walking Wild Lewisboro][Description and Directions] [Printable Detailed PDF Map]

Mount Holly Sanctuary


Mount Holly

Mount Holly Sanctuary

The Mount Holly Sanctuary is named for Jonah Holly, the first settler of the area form 1795. The 209 acres are owned by the Nature Conservancy. The western portion is dominated by a north south ridge. At the base of the ridge lies a wetland area which includes a red maple swamp and a pond reverting to marshland. Much of the terrain is steep and rugged with several outcrops of Fordham gneiss. There are bridle trails as well as 3.4 miles of walking well marked trails.

Level: Moderate

Directions: Partly located in Bedford, the sanctuary is on the west side of Mount Holly Road .6 miles south of Todd Road, across from the intersection with Holly Hill Lane. Small Parking area at the entrance.

[Map]